Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Once a Runner"

I just finished reading the novel "Once a Runner," by John L. Parker. This book was first published in 1978 and reissued in 1990.

It is the story of Quenton Cassidy, a miler at the fictional Southestern University, in Florida. It is based in the late 1960's, early 1970's.
Without posting too many spoilers, the basic story is that Cassidy gets into some trouble at his school, and gets kicked out. He takes the opportunity to focus explicitly on his training, and is trained by another runner who is an Olympic gold medalist. Cassidy realizes his potential in a showdown with the world record holder and goes on to recognize his potential, but also must come to a point where he must put parts of the past behind him.

So what did I think of the story? Well. On the cover of my book, 'Runner's World Magazine' is quoted as saying it is the "Best novel about running ever written."

To be fair, I don't think there actually are that many novels about running that have been written, so I can't exactly tell what the competition is.

However, the book was so...male. I think it nailed that aspect. I thought it probably accurately portrayed the experience of what many guy runners feel and think and experience when they are in college. As a girl runner, who ran in college--the way I viewed training, team, my coaches, my goals was just really different and I don't think I'm that different from the norm (probably a little, but not completely off the mark!)
I have heard that this book is iconic amongst college cross-country teams. That teams will pass one sacred book out to their freshman members and they all read it and then sign it as they pass it along. The teams all relate to that experience of reading the book, and the story itself. Guess what, I have heard this from GUY teams!

I wonder how girl college teams would react to the book?

I wondered how this book was relatable to me (or other girl runners) because it was set in a time when women were still viewed as sex objects, Cassidy's girl friend does not understand his passion for running at all, AND girl's sports basically did not exist. Quick history lesson: the first woman's NCAA championship in cross-country was not until...wait for it...1982--Women's basketball was also that same year. I found some parts relatable, but it was difficult because the story was about a guy's experience.

Can a story be relatable simply because the character runs and I run? I've certainly related to other characters who were different from me and not noticed the stark differences..I wondered why I would notice them now?

Anyways. If you have read the book, what did YOU think?
Did you like it?
Was it "The best novel about running" you have ever read?
If you are a girl runner, did you find it relatable to your experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment