Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Meet Dupree


Dupree is my new Garmin Forerunner 405 that I got for Christmas. Anyone reading this should probably know a few things about me.
1) I've worn the same running watch since college. The trusty black Baby G. It's simple, no bells and whistles...and the truth is, all I know how to use on it are the start/stop, the reset, the light and the "menu" buttons. I don't do laps. At all. I never reset it for daylight savings...I'm super simple.

2) I've run the gauntlet of timing devices. I had a Garmin forerunner 305. It was a giant computer that I hated. I ended up losing it along with a beloved ASU backpack I got at Cross-Country Nationals...I'm still pouting over the loss :(. Last year I started out using the Nike + with the little foot pod thinger. It worked out well until Nike changed their system and the pod stopped synching with my phone and I lost my mojo. I also have a Polar heart rate monitor. I can't explain it, but I never got into training with a HRM.

3) With each and every one of these devices, I tend to "race" myself all the time with them. I generally push myself to see how fast I can do my miles and then it ends up skewing my true times. I can only guess it's my obsessive competitive nature coming out. Call me immature or whatever, but it can actually interfere with the enjoyable nature of running to constantly be checking mile splits. It has made me debate getting a new Garmin...read on for more.

So anyways, a major problem I've been having this past racing season is being able to simply tell splits. When working with my coach, and analyzing races, I'll give feedback like, "Well, at mile 1 it felt like I was about at the right pace..." That's not really specific or helpful to training, but at the same time I was resisting wanting a Garmin--which simply takes mile splits for you b/c it might mess with that feeling of freedom..what a quandry.

Well. I finally broke and got the silly Forerunner 405 with HRM on sale at Boulder Running Company. I have to say I am seriously enjoying it so far...and yes, I've named it Dupree. No reason other than I like the name and I think if it has a name it will help me keep using it.

Here's what I love so far:
1) Mile splits. Love...also a big fan of how easy it was for me to find and set up this function.
2) The little ANT stick that wirelessly pulls my data from the watch to my computer and then it analyzes pretty much everything from pace per mile to elevation gain online. It's an awesome training log. Then I can easily send the data to my coach.


What I have had trouble with:
1) I had a little trouble setting up the website
2) The touch sensitive bezel is actually touch sensitive...it will switch modes..and I haven't remembered how to get it to lock yet.

The racing is back. I can tell I'm checking mile splits and times much more than I ever do with Baby G. I'm trying to be aware of this because it makes the runs less enjoyable and it also doesn't give an accurate portrayal of where I'm really at. Not to mention that if I push it hard all the time, I'll burn myself right out. Right now, I'm just being aware of my urge to race and also showing some discipline and these next runs, going out, looking at the watch first mile and not the rest of the time. We'll see how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment