Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Story

I've always been an active person. I started running competitively in high school and I ran cross country and track and field at in college. It was fun and challenging, both physically and mentally. When I finished my time in college, I never really stopped running. I just kept running for fun, logging miles and training on my own. I signed up for some fun races, just to see how I would do, and I ran almost as fast as I had in college.

The years have passed and now I am 31 years old and about to earn my master's degree in sport and performance psychology. I work with athletes to help them achieve their best performances and get the most enjoyment from their sport. I live in Colorado, and last year I ran a half marathon for fun. I ran a 1:27 off 6 weeks of training. It motivated me to start really training again to see where I was at. It's been a fun time for me, to explore some goals and see where I can go!
So, that's the "Miles" part of this blog.

The "Mastery" part is in reference to George Leonard's book by the same title. Mastery is about the process of attaining excellence as well as a deeper sense of satisfaction in our daily lives as well as our activities or sport. I love that this book has ideas of being diligent with the process of mastery, the process is actually a series of plateaus with small breakthroughs (and thus you must enjoy the plateau!), and being fully in the moment. These are just a few of the many ideas contained in this small book. It is a guide for how I *try* to go about my training and racing, but it's not always easy! I have a support team of family, my coach, my own sport psychologist and some close friends and training buddies who help me work towards the path of mastery.

I'm starting this blog to detail my miles and training, as well as my path to mastery, and I don't know, I'll leave it open for some other options too.

No comments:

Post a Comment