Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How can working out help fatigue?

As discussed yesterday, I was still pretty sore on Tuesday from Monday's weight lifting adventure.
However that didn't mean that running wasn't in the cards, it just meant that the first few steps included me moaning, "oh, my arse..ouch!" I was wondering how I would feel yesterday, after weight lifting, a 10 mile run on Sunday and then I was also sick all day on Sunday after my run.
I was wondering if I was going to feel my old friend fatigue.

Fatigue is natural, it's part of sport, it's expected...and it's not fun! It's our body's way of telling us we need more rest, food and water--and also sometimes a look inside our mental state.

Rather than focus on my fatigue and muscle soreness on this run--and really emphasize it, I was pretty sure that despite my feeling of being tired and sore I could still make it if I focused on small segments I enjoyed--and used them as motivators.

Beyond these extremely simple tips to push past the fatigue I felt on my run, I chose a route I enjoy, and I ran with my husband who always makes being tired a little more fun!

We ended up going about 8 miles in 60 minutes on a route near our house.

This trail is fun because it goes so many places, you go around a lake, on hard-packed trail, roads, down-hill, up-hill and even single track, you run along a creek, we've seen snapping turtles, I've even seen deer on this trail!

So yeah, about 3 miles in you start hitting the fun single track...
The trail boarders up against private pasture land.



It's cool because you are "at nature," but people live right there...I guess if I really had a bathroom emergency or something, I'd totally stop in and ask one of these neighbors!

We start and finish around this lake.

And then, right at the end we saw a baby robin. I like to think of him as good luck.

There you have it. A scenic run that helped battle fatigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment