Friday, July 8, 2011

Such a Slacker!

A couple weeks ago the coach and I decided it was time to do a tempo run. For fun and practice we decided to do the tempo run at a race. See the thing is, while working on tempo run pace is important, it is also important for me personally to work on what I like to call "good race behaviors." I tend to get pretty anxious at races. A little bit of anxiety is good, but in some ways, my nerves are affecting my ability to perform at my best. I like to think of it as messing with my "zone of optimal performance." In sport and performance psych it's called, the IZOF or Individual Zone of Optimal Functioning. I get nervous enough I'm not always focusing on the right things (take for instance the time I was at a race and I was looking around at the other racers determining who was fastest based on their outfits--see, not optimal functioning). Anyways. I signed up for the Slacker Four Mile and decided that I would not only use the race as a chance get in a good workout but also practice finding and staying IN my zone of optimal functioning.

A quick summary:
The Slacker offers a 1/2 marathon, a relay 1/2 and a four mile option. The 1/2 marathon starts in Loveland Ski area at 10,640 feet and goes to Georgetown at about 8,400 feet. It is a distinct downhill. The four mile race is the final four miles of the race course and let me tell you, it is definitely downhill! The course is along a frontage road, bike path and then through the town of Georgetown.

My goals for the race/workout were:
1) Create a "starting box" for myself. This included me finding a space near the front and in general making space for myself.

2) Getting to the race early with plenty of time for the bathroom, and warm-up routine

3) Running the first mile conservatively

4) Maintaining a tempo run pace the entire time, this involved being able to turn to anyone near me and have a mini-conversation

5) Have fun


What happened:
Well we got there super early. We had to leave our house at--wait for it: 5:15 am. I got up at 4:30. I won't say much about that part. We definitely got there with plenty of time. I was on one of the first buses to the starting line, and had over an hour to mill around, do an awesome warm-up, go to the bathroom and even basically "relax" at the start. So--goal 2 definitely accomplished! I was in the second row...and I tried to create a "box" for myself. This involved basically just squeezing to the front and holding my own. Honestly, I'm still working on how to start out at these races--I totally know how to start a cross-country race and a track race...thank goodness for starters who give directions...road racing is so self-directed.

When the race started I popped out in the front with three guys. I remembered to be internal, focus on myself and my goal of relaxing the first mile. The race was extremely downhill and it was important to race how I felt: relaxed, smooth, easy. Goal 3 accomplished.

While I didn't speak to anyone near me, part of tempo run pace is being able to maintain conversation, and I definitely knew that I could turn to the guy next to me and tell him what was on my mind (go Goal 4)

As for Goal 5....Well, I was having a total blast. Running downhill is hard. I'm not going to lie but it's also fun. I also was in the front. I mean I won the race for the women and I was the 4th person over all. I'm not going to lie, it was awesome, all while maintaining a good tempo run pace of an average of 6:14 miles.

I think the best part was really doing a race and a workout at the same time. I loved having so many concrete performance and process goals to focus on in this race. I found that to be extremely helpful for me in calming a lot of my anxiety as well as giving me something measurable to work towards and look at at the end of the race.

I've never done the Slacker race before, but I thought it was really well put on and organized, and I loved running through Georgetown at the end.

1 comment:

  1. "I was looking around at the other racers determining who was fastest based on their outfits"

    And here I was, thinking I was the only one that did this ;)

    ReplyDelete