Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dear Smartwool Socks...

I wanted to take a moment to talk about a product that I'm oddly sort of obsessed with: socks.
Okay, it's not really just socks, but really footwear in general. I will put out there right now, Exhibit A of why I am interested in footwear: I've got some serious bunions going on. I know, hot huh?
These puppies are inherited and my brother and my mom have them too. My brother actually got them fixed and I've been to a doctor about the same surgery. The type I have are called Hallux valgus. What can happen and actually does happen with me is that there is some pain over that lovely little joint you see there. The pain makes me very interested in footwear--which brings me to these socks.

In the past I've been a fan of a variety of types and brands of socks, and while many running experts will tell you that it's best to have some sort of synthetic fabric rather than cotton because it wicks moisture away and helps prevent blisters, I've even gone against that grain and worn the cotton. What I'm really looking for are some specific things:
1) "micro" height--Okay, so this probably isn't the most important "performance" aspect, but aesthetically I won't wear anything else. I like my socks tiny. I'm not a fan at all of ankle length and I don't really understand calf length (yes, I understand what compression socks are).

2) Thickness--or lack there of. I like my socks thin. Like thin mints.

3) In terms of fit, I'm looking for lower and upper instep bands and arch bands. I like my socks to grip my feet and over time I've really grown used to this, also this somehow helps prevent odd slippage of the socks down into my shoes.


So, like I said over the years I've tried out many types of socks and most recently I've fallen in love with the Smartwool PhD Running Light and Ultra Light Micros. I think they are the best socks I have ever worn. These socks are a combination of merino wool and nylon. They fit my criteria of being "micro" (they even say, "no sock tan here,") and they are not only fitted for the foot, but they advertise they are fitted for a woman's foot (I don't really know what that means--wouldn't it be cool if it was fitted for a "bunion foot?" No such luck though). I love that the socks come in two weights--light and ultra light. I've tried out both and while the "light" has some padding they are still light and comfortable. The Ultra's are my favorite. Light as a feather. They have a little ankle padding on the back that helps with the odd blister that happens on your Achilles which is nice. To be a super nerd about these socks, when they come up in my sock rotation, I get excited to wear them.

If I had one downside about them, it's cost: they cost $13.95 for ONE pair. I've found them on sale before at REI and tried to stock up. However, even at regular price they are phenomenal.

Okay, the socks don't exactly make my bunions NOT hurt (they are good, but not that good!) but I love how they feel on my feet, and I love that they perform so well. They wick moisture away (something I didn't even know I cared about) and most importantly, they grip my foot from the top of the sock to my toes. Both these have prevented blisters, which in general, suck. So, without further ado, here are my feet, modeling my precious Smartwool Ultra lights, and then my Light running socks.
Today on my run I wore the Ultra Light blue pair. They were fabu.
See how they have that upper band that grips my foot? I'm in love with that, you can see my ankle poking out (low cut) and yes, they even hug my bunion nice and close. Also, if you spy closely you can actually see the love on these puppies. I ran through mud and well, sometimes mud stains happen--even with your shoes on ;D

and finally, hot foot model. Did you know that "body part" models can make up to $5,000 dollars a day? It's true.
So, now you know one of my most favorite products that makes my runs happy. Is there a product you love? A certain shoe, or shirt--even socks that you put on and even if the run is tough--hey, at least you are comfortable!?

1 comment:

  1. I've got to agree...Smartwool socks are pretty fab. Nike Tempo shorts are also on my list, along with my sports bras and yoga pants (though I don't run in those) from Victoria's Secret Sport.

    ReplyDelete